It takes a lot of time and effort to continue the success of the WPX Contest. Contesting is very lucky to have so many people who are willing to give their time and energy back to the sport by helping with the contest operation. For example, Barry, W5GN, handles all of the certificates. Doug, K1DG, takes care of all plaques. Ken, K1EA, provides the log checking software. There are many volunteers who help by typing in paper logs (I will list all of them in a future blog post). Not to mention IT help from George, K5TR, and Trey, N5KO.
The one area that I have done mostly on my own is the log checking and results. This was necessary to learn the software, how to manage the logs, the file format for CQ Magazine, etc. These processes and procedures are now well defined. It takes about 300-500 hours per mode to do everything. With WRTC 2014 approaching along with increasing responsibilities in my job, it is time to seek one or two people who would like to be deeply involved in the administration of the WPX Contest and help share this load.
- Assist the Contest Director with administration of the WPX Contest.
- Communicate with participants to assist with and encourage log submission
- Correct log errors as needed to support the log checking process
- Evaluate logs for rule compliance and determine bad callsigns or other log checking tasks
- Demonstrated enthusiasm for contesting
- Knowledge of callsign structures and propagation
- High level of computer skills and attention to detail
- Fluent in written and spoken English. Ideal candidate will also be fluent in one other language (e.g., Russian or German)
If you have an interest in joining the CQ WPX Contest Committee and helping with the administration of the contest, please contact me by email to email@example.com.
Please respond quickly as I would like to begin the collaboration with the WPX CW 2011 contest.
If you would like to help in some way, but do not want to take on a full role, please let me know of your talents and interests. There are always special projects that can use some extra help.
Randy Thompson, K5ZD
Director – CQ WPX Contest